St Tropez is one of the world’s most exclusive destinations, but for those who haven’t been before, it remains something of a glamorous mystery. Below, our local St Tropez House experts answer all of your frequently asked questions, exploring everything from the best things to do in St Tropez with kids to the best Pampelonne beach clubs to not miss. Find your top 21 questions – and our answers – below.
Your Saint Tropez Questions: Answered
What is St Tropez famous for?
St Tropez is famous for a wide range of things – here are the top five.
- Pampelonne Beach. Offering over 5km of beautiful coast, peppered with iconic beach clubs, Pampelonne beach has a golden reputation and is a firm favourite amongst international jet setters and A-List celebrities. Villas for rent in Pampelonne are highly sought after each summer.
- Senequier cafe. This red terraced eatery has become legendary, with its harbourside position offering the perfect spot for people watching. The late fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld used to come here regularly, sometimes popping in for a midnight drink with a view.
- Brigitte Bardot. St Tropez was the stunning backdrop of her 1957 movie And God Created Woman, which catapulted both Bardot and our port village to international stardom. Bardot seems to have an everlasting affinity with the destination, still living in her St Tropez property, La Madrague, today.
- Club55. Another link to Brigitte Bardot, this exclusive beach club started in 1955, when Madame de Colmont used her little wooden hut to provide food and drink for Brigitte Bardot and the crew during filming for And God Created Woman. Today it is a mecca for celebrities, seeing everyone from Joan Collins to Kate Moss walk its sands.
Is St Tropez expensive?
Yes. The property rental and hotel rates here are the highest in France, with the prices of villas for rent in Saint Tropez and Ramatuelle ranging anywhere from €20,000 to €500,000 per week. Villas for sale is Saint Tropez can have a price tag of up to 50,000,00 EUR. This is because properties in and around Saint Tropez are so highly sought-after – St Tropez is one of the world’s finest holiday destinations.
How big is St Tropez?
St Tropez is 15.18 km² in total, with a population of 4,103 as of 2018. The number of people in St Tropez increases greatly with the influx of tourists in the summer months. This small French village can welcome up to 6 million guests per year!
Is it safe in Saint Tropez?
Yes. Thefts and break-ins do occur, more so during the summer months when the village is full of wealthy tourists. You can protect against crimes by choosing a villa with a full security system. When renting a luxury villa in St Tropez, St Tropez House always recommends getting extra security which can be organised for you.
Is Pampelonne in St Tropez or Ramatuelle?
Pampelonne Beach is geographically located in Ramatuelle, however many people think of this glamorous stretch of sand as belonging to St Tropez. Pampelonne is only a 15-minute drive from the centre of St Tropez, making it very easily accessible.
What are the most famous places in St Tropez?
There are several things to see and do in St Tropez, but which are the most famous?
- Senequier cafe, with its patisserie that dates back to 1887.
- Port of St Tropez, with its rows of shining superyachts looked out on by charming terracotta-coloured shops and restaurants.
- Place des Lices, our beautiful public square, home to a fantastic bi-weekly open air market. Locals come here to play boules, with the square hosting pétanque tournaments in the summer.
- Club 55, an iconic beach club and the place to see and be seen in St Tropez.
- Le Cheval Blanc Hotel, a heavenly 30-room luxury retreat located on the edge of St Tropez, home to the three Michelin-starred Vague d’Or restaurant and boasting its own private beach.
- Polo Club St Tropez, one of the leading polo clubs in France, hosting a range of exciting tournaments and competitions, as well as offering polo lessons and a wellness club. The on-site Argentinian restaurant offers mouthwatering cuisine and a perfect view of the club’s main polo field.
What is Pampelonne famous for?
Ranking top of most lists of things to do in St Tropez, Pampelonne Beach is most famous for its link to French movie star Brigitte Bardot – her 1955 film And God Created Woman was shot on Pampelonne Beach, and it was here that Club 55 was created, remaining in the same position to this day.
Over time, plenty more exclusive and world-renowned beach clubs have arrived on the stretch of Pampelonne, including Gigi Ramatuelle, Nikki Beach, Loulou, Casa Amor and Bagatelle, which have only added to its A-List image.
How many beach clubs are there on Pampelonne?
There are a total of 27 beach clubs on Pampelonne Beach, and each has its own unique charm. Club 55 and Tahiti Beach are the oldest, both founded in the 1950s and to this day offering a taste of paradise. Meanwhile, there are still some that only launched in 2019, such as Byblos Beach and La Serena, but still perfectly imbibe the laid back glamour of la Plage de Pampelonne.
Some originate from other places, but have moved over to embrace the St Tropez lifestyle, such as Loulou, which after taking up residence in the Tuileries Gardens in Paris decided to offer a summer season on Pampelonne to meet the needs of its clientele. Some are more focused on being family friendly, whereas others are devoted to partying, as we will see later on.
How to get to St Tropez?
It is easy to get to St Tropez, and you can travel in the way that best suits you. By car, you take the A8 from Nice. It is important to remember that there is one road going in and out to access Saint Tropez therefore during the peak season it is recommended to leave 2-3 hours travel time from Nice. By helicopter, you can travel from convenient airports or from Monaco. Helicopter arrivals have recently been changed so it is important to discuss your options with your helicopter transfer provider. Meanwhile those arriving by private jet can land in La Mole airport, located just a short drive from St Tropez centre.
For tricks and tips to avoid traffic during the high season, Read: 8 St Tropez Shortcuts your GPS won’t know
Is there an airport in St Tropez?
Yes – small jets can land in La Mole airport, situated 15 km or 8 nautical miles southwest of Saint-Tropez.
There are also two nearby airports for larger planes – one in Nice, less than an hour and a half’s drive away, and one in Toulon, under an hour’s drive from St Tropez.
Is there a train station in St Tropez?
No – the closest station is Les Arcs – Draguignan, located a 50 minute drive from St Tropez.
Is there a port in St Tropez?
Yes. Saint-Tropez Harbour comprises 734 moorings divided between two basins covering an area of nine hectares, located in the heart of the village. It offers a range of sought-after services – as you would expect from such a famous marina – and can host yachts up to 50 metres, with a maximum draft of 6 metres.
There are also additional ports near to St Tropez, if Saint-Tropez Harbour is fully booked when you wish to travel. These include Marina de Port Grimaud and Marines de Cogolin.
Can I land in a helicopter in St Tropez?
Yes. There are designated landing zones in St Tropez however the legislation about arriving by helicopter has recently been changed and must be checked with your helicopter transfer provider before booking. Many of our private villas in St Tropez come equipped with helipads, allowing people to fly directly to their door.
Can I arrive by a private jet to St Tropez?
Absolutely – simply fly into La Mole airport, and then take a short helicopter, car or boat ride to get to St Tropez.
What to do in Saint Tropez with kids?
St Tropez House can recommend our top activities to do with kids, including learning new skills such as swimming, sailing or tennis, taking day trips to adventure or water parks such as Marineland or Aquasplash, heading to one of St Tropez’s kid-friendly beach clubs like L’Orangerie or La Cabane Bambou, and exploring beautiful parks and gardens such as Le Rayol Park.
What are the best places to party in St Tropez?
What to do in St Tropez if you want to party? St Tropez is home to some of the world’s most exclusive nightclubs, where you can sip champagne and dance until dawn.
- Les Caves du Roy is possibly the most famous nightclub in France. Located within the iconic Hotel Byblos, Les Caves du Roy has hosted celebrities like Mick Jagger within its Baroque-style walls.
- Gaio was the first restaurant-club to open in Saint-Tropez. Offering mouth watering delicacies in the early evening, later on this establishment turns up the music to become a hot party spot for the night.
- VIP Room opens from late June to September each year, promising excellent nights that turn into memorable mornings. Expect high levels of glitz and glamour and plenty of famous faces at this central-Saint-Tropez nightclub.
- L’Opera is a restaurant, nightclub and cabaret show all in one – the perfect recipe for an unforgettable evening. Expect incredible dancers and beautiful art deco design.
As well as this, some of Pampelonne’s beach clubs are designed for letting your hair down.
- Gigi Ramatuelle hit the top picks of Pampelonne beach clubs in 2021 when their much-anticipated arrival. Their cutting edge concepts such as Gigi Circus and Bellini Bar make it a top location for families and party goers alike.
- Nikki Beach is a hot destination for international celebrities and party vibes. Plush sunbeds, exotic cocktails and non-stop sets from world-class DJs make for ultimate day party vibes.
- Bagatelle Beach has unmistakable French glamour, featuring chic décor & lively music that sees guests dancing on the sand.
- Loulou is relaxed and free-spirited, allowing guests to sip cocktails and let loose in an elegant environment.
What are the most expensive villas for rent in St Tropez?
The most expensive villas in St Tropez sit within the price range of 100,000 EUR/week – 500,000 EUR/week to rent in the summer. An example of these villas offered by St Tropez House include Villa Ama Pampelonne, a stunning seven-bedroom (plus staff accommodation) villa taking modern luxury to a new level.
How to rent a villa in Saint Tropez?
Contact Emilia at St Tropez House and share with her your desired dates, budget and preferred location. She will suggest for you a selection of exquisite, well-suited villas to choose from. It is important to remember that during the new peak season in Saint Tropez (mid June – mid September) there is a minimum 2 week stay requirement and all rentals are booked from Saturday to Saturday. Prices for a villa rental in Saint Tropez range from 10,000 EUR up to 500,000 EUR per week and of course there is a wide range of villa styles and amenities offered in each. A perfect example of a villa within the 15,000 EUR – 35,000 EUR price range is the beautiful Terra Cotta, a 5 bedroom neo-provencal villa located within the gated domain Cap Tahiti. Sunset on the other hand would fit within the 35,000 EUR – 70,000 EUR range and offers more amenities such as a fully equipped gym, professional kitchen with staff accommodation and a jacuzzi. Villas ranging upwards of 70,000 EUR include Villa Vertige a stunning 3900m2 contemporary villa with flawless interior design and a wide range of amenities including a private cinema room.
How to buy a villa in St Tropez?
We recommend contacting Emilia of St Tropez House when looking for a villa for sale in Saint Tropez. You will be requested to provide your preferences for the property including budget, preferred location and style. Emilia will provide you with a relevant selection, and within that list will hopefully be your future home. Villas in and around Saint Tropez are highly sought after for many reasons however one key aspect of their attractiveness is their potential of buying to let. Several investors will purchase a property to let it out during the peak season as an important return on investment.
What celebrities visit St Tropez?
Countless celebrities have visited St Tropez at least once, thanks to its world-class reputation, invite-only events and luxurious establishments. Star-studded events such as the recently launched Mental Health Gala by Aurora Institute welcomed top athletes, models and entertainers to Saint Tropez in an effort to raise global awareness about this important issue. This famous French village has also played host to top models such as Kate Moss and Cara Delavigne, TV personalities like Piers Morgan, actors such as Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L Jackson, singers like J Lo, and sports stars like Neymar. However, we also see top politicians, tech personalities and more wandering St Tropez’s picturesque streets or relaxing on the golden sands of Pampelonne.
Have you spotted Karl Lagerfeld in Saint Tropez?
When still alive, Karl Lagerfield was often spotted in St Tropez, whether he was grabbing a drink in Senequier, strolling along the port, or exploring the little streets of St Tropez old town. He went nowhere without his personal secretary Sebastien Jondeau, and was easy to spot thanks to his instantly recognisable sense of style – he always wore a tailored suit and trademark gloves, with his white hair in a ponytail.
For more information about Saint Tropez and how to best organise your summer getaway contact our team of experts.
Leave a Reply