Most people equate the sunny South of France with the summertime, when millions of people each year flock to upmarket coastal resorts like Saint Tropez to enjoy its beaches, swim in the Med and get a tan.
But what many people fail to realise is that the area is also a stone’s throw from some of the best skiing in Europe, making it hugely popular with winter sports’ fans.
Within a three hour radius of our portfolio of St Tropez House villas to rent are at least half a dozen excellent ski resorts which cater for skiers of all abilities.
And there is currently fever pitch up and down the coast as families prepare to head off to the mountains for the first time this season next weekend.
Below is a list of the nearest ski resorts to our luxury villas in Saint Tropez, with details of lift opening times for those of you who are keen to dust down your skis for the first time this year.
- Isola 2000 is probably the best known ski resorts near our portfolio of St Tropez House rental villas, approximately 2 hours and 45 minutes away. The large purpose-built resort boasts more than 120km of lift-served runs, some of which will open this weekend due to the large ‘dump’ of snow this week. However the majority will open on December 7th.
- Auron shares a joint lift-pass with Isola 2000 even though it is situated across the valley in the Mercantour National Park. It takes roughly the same amount of time to get there from your villa in Saint Tropez. The resort lies at 1600 metres and has 135km of lift-served runs which will be open to the public from December 7th.
- Another favourite ski resort which is manageable from Saint Tropez is Valberg, again an approximate 2 hours and 45 minute drive away. Valberg was built in 1936 and is one of France’s oldest ski resorts. The resort’s 52 pistes will open on December 6th, and are due to close on April 6th.
- Perhaps the closest ski resort to Saint Tropez is the small, family resort of Audibergue, which is about one hour and 50 minutes away by car. The resort has 24 pistes and some of the best views of the Iles des Lérins from the top. It is scheduled to open on December 21, just in time for Christmas.
- Another local resort which is small and family orientated is Gréolières, a two hour drive from Saint Tropez. The ski station has more than 26kms of pistes with a view of the Mediterranean from the top. The resort is due to open on December 14th.