France has an unshakeable café culture which means that most French will take at least ten minutes out of their busy day to sit down – and enjoy a short sharp hit of caffeine.
There’s no coffee on the run here; but an amiable coffee stop to savour the hot drink and watch the world go round until you are ready to move on.
We love this enviable element of French life. For us at St Tropez House, few things beat sipping a grand creme on a pavement café in Saint Tropez people – and super yacht – watching in the morning sun.
But it’s important that you know where to go for a really good cup of coffee, and the ambiance to match.
So for our clients who are renting one of our luxury villas in Saint Tropez this autumn, we have put together a list of our favourite haunts so you know where to head for your caffeine fix.
- Without doubt one of the most famous cafés in Saint Tropez, and a short stroll from our more central St Tropezienne villas to rent is LE SENEQUIER, on the port. A favourite with former president Jacques Chirac this café is the perfect place from which to people watch, and the coffee is pretty excellent too.
- Another café institution in Saint Tropez is the CAFÉ DE PARIS, which is also located on the port in a prime position to allow those indulging in a morning coffee to watch the superyachts come and go in the summer season.
- Saint Tropez is particularly busy on Tuesdays and Saturdays throughout the year when the market comes to town. On these days we recommend those renting one of our Saint Tropez luxury villas to head to Place des Lices for your morning coffee so that you can watch the colourful market unfold. There are some fantastic little bars and cafes around the place, but our favourites have to be the BRASSERIE DES ARTS and LE CAFÉ DES ARTS.
And here, for our non-speaking clients, are a few words to help you order the perfect coffee:
- un café crème/café au lait = a coffee with milk
- une noisette = a short coffee with a hint of milk
- un café = an expresso
- un café allonge/ un americain = a long coffee